* Welcome

Hello and welcome to Seiryuu!

Seiryuu is an RPG resource, directory and discussion forum focused on coding and development for RPGs running on SimpleMachines Forum software.  Our directory is not limited (please feel free to link anything you'd like!), but if you're looking for fancy skins and RP-specific mods for SMF, this is the place for you.

How long do you last?

• Hitpoints.org

• Prolific Member
  • Roleplay Addict
  • Stand up, fight back the world it's yours
  • 175 posts
How long do you last?
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »
For site owners, how long do you usually have your sites open? What's the average length you would say you've kept a site going on? What about when you're a player? How long do you stick around?

As a site owner, I've very, very rarely had a site that didn't last over a year. My average is usually about two years. My longest lasting was five years. As a player, I usually last a couple of weeks to a year, depending on the site.

• Rainbows and Unicorns
  • Pink is the new black.
  • 15 posts
Re: How long do you last?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:58:36 pm »
My first site ran about five years. As a player, I can't be trusted to even sign up anymore. (And I don't let myself do so.) I think I can have the time to dedicate it to playing elsewhere--but I don't. 

The current site I have, I've been running since ...2011? Originally it was a php board hosted elsewhere, and the original owner didn't want to see it die, so I took over. It's gone through two huge face lifts since then.

• Administrator
  • corsec sniper
  • for srs!
  • 763 posts
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:23:09 am »
I am more inclined to revamp and restructure than I am to close entirely.  I run games because I have what I think are interesting stories to tell, and I'm not willing to give up on those stories without a fight.  :)

• Hitpoints.org

• Prolific Member
  • Roleplay Addict
  • 175 posts
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:11:42 pm »
Nice! You guys are so dedicated! My interests tend to wander with everything (books, shows, music) so it's the same when it comes to roleplaying. But right now, I have so many stories to tell on Somnia that it's not going anywhere any time soon. <3

And sadly, Tellius would still be running (it was my longest running forum at the 5 year mark) but out of character drama completely murdered my desire to stay there. I think I like to have that one long running forum going while I experiment with others. I would actually have preferred to run just one forum and join another one but eh. I can't ever find the thing that fulfills everything I want  because I've become so damn picky.  >.<

• Administrator
  • corsec sniper
  • for srs!
  • 763 posts
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:46:52 am »
I have had a few experimental duds -- I love building things, which means that I have in the past set things up and just let them go for the sake of having built them -- but for the most part, when I am invested in a story I am INVESTED in that STORY.  XD

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:31 pm »
My first site is still going (it'll be 5 in February). And I have no plans to let it die. or end it. 

The second site I was admin on lasted only about 2 years... It had a number of issues that contributed to it's demise. I got busier and didn't have as much time. Plus some admin drama (that occurred behind the scenes) really didn't help.

• Before the Mast

• Prolific Member
  • A seadog looking for crewmates
  • 176 posts
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:04 am »
Mine has celebrated 4 years.

||Tumblr|| Pinterest|| Facebook||Youtube||
Recommending:

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:01:36 pm »
As of this past Christmas week, my staff members and I decided to close my Star Wars site after almost four years (it would have been four at the end of April). We were having activity issues- we introduced a plot that should have brought more people in and gotten the members we had involved, but they seemed disinterested. (For those who are Star Wars fans, we had Coruscant get attacked by a force that definitely should have drawn attention.)

It was the only role play that I ran that entire time. I only had one other online project that took up some of my time, which was a message board for fantasy writers, but that was fairly short lived. I've never had a site last as long as my Star Wars site did. I think my other staff members and I just got kind of burnt out from struggling to figure out what  we could possibly do to get activity back to what it had been.

And apparently I must miss running a site, because not only am I working on a Star Wars role play directory but I've been discussing another Star Wars role play already, one that I wouldn't open until May (or MAYBE earlier) because I have classes literally about to start up and I don't know how much time I'm going to have to dedicate to it. Going to try and resist opening it sooner than that but we'll see.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:48:41 am »
I've had a couple of long lived Pern sites, the first being back on Avidgamers. Second Pass  turned three on January 6 at out current address; it would be about five, but I tend to discount the time prior to when I (accidentally) completely detonated the whole site @_@

We recently had a pretty solid downtime; the team decided to boot all the inactive folk and go private, which happened to coincide with some RL drama I had at work. This resulted in me having very little desire to be on the site, and it suffered as a result. I was never truly worried though; my main partner and I have many characters between us, and a lot more stories to tell. SP isn't going anywhere while we're still keen to play!

As for other sites; I have a different fandom site being idly worked on, and a couple of concepts I started, but decided I want to turn into novels occasionally being played with. I'm not sure I have it in me to full time run two sites, so SP is being adjusted to be more player involved plot wide, and the WIP is designed to use the die-roll mod  in place of administrative decisions (eg, can I have that shiny thing? Sure, if you roll the right number.) I would rather the trust then micro manage xD

Sorry for the babble. It's midnight and I should be asleep lol.

• Hitpoints.org

• Prolific Member
  • Roleplay Addict
  • 175 posts
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 04:56:05 pm »
I've become the same way, Honey. I've tried to make Somnia as hands-off as possible and I run a second site but to be honest, it feels neglected. I feel bad about that but I don't have it in me to full time two sites, which is sad because there was a time in the past where I juggled running FOUR sites while I was a member on ten others. If you asked me now how I did it, I couldn't say... I wish I knew.  Really, I do.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:19:49 pm by Zozma »

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »
I know right?! I used to run two sites, admin on a third, and play on about 10-15 others with 2+ characters all the while in full time schooling and horse riding for severa hours every other day. I have no idea how I did it. I really really don't lol.

Tags:

* Plugboard

* Links and Affiliates

Distant Fantasies Total Drama Website - The Best Role-Play Sites