* Welcome

Hello and welcome to Seiryuu!

Seiryuu is an RPG resource, directory and discussion forum focused on coding and development for RPGs running on SimpleMachines Forum software.  Our directory is not limited (please feel free to link anything you'd like!), but if you're looking for fancy skins and RP-specific mods for SMF, this is the place for you.

Hiding IC Content

• Hitpoints.org

• Prolific Member
  • Roleplay Addict
  • Stand up, fight back the world it's yours
  • 175 posts
Hiding IC Content
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:56:51 pm »
Normally, I dislike it. If I'm going to join a site, then I want to see the way people write on it. But as I'm getting older, I've become increasingly uncomfortable with having my site's IC stuff right out there in the open for any old guest to see. I've been giving some serious thought to hiding the IC forums because we're rated 3-3-3 and limited to adult players because I just don't feel 100 percent comfortable with having kids on board or reading our stuff. Some of it is really adult oriented! And I realize that it's out in the open and that despite all the warnings in the world, kids are going to stumble across the site at some point and read what's there.

I've seen other adult oriented sites do the same and it's common practice in places like LJ but people in the forum world say junk like "I won't even JOIN a site if I can't read the IC areas!" That doesn't really matter to me anyway because I've become increasingly picky about who I want on my forums lately. (So many flakes, I'm so freaking tired of them...)

I'm already turning away people who don't like this or that: we're RL faces, so anime people won't join, we don't have an app process, so app lovers won't join, we don't have a word count so word counters won't join, etc. So to me, it's more about what I want than who I'm turning out. People who are more like me will be more apt to join and those are the people I want to write with. Regardless of input, I plan to limit my IC forums to members only at the start of the year (along with a handful of other changes) but...

What do you think when it comes to hiding IC content?

Edit to add: (I've already hidden my IC forums by now.)

• Before the Mast

• Prolific Member
  • A seadog looking for crewmates
  • 176 posts
Re: Hiding IC Content
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:54 am »
Nothing is hidden except the staff forum. And I wouldn't want to join a site if it has hidden forums. Well, an occasional mature, password protected forum might happen on certain sites, and it is OK. (But not on mine!) I don;t want though most parts to be hidden.

||Tumblr|| Pinterest|| Facebook||Youtube||
Recommending:

• Hitpoints.org

• Prolific Member
  • Roleplay Addict
  • Stand up, fight back the world it's yours
  • 175 posts
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:55 pm »
Yeah I should have edited this but I already reopened my IC forums after speaking to another lawyer.

• Administrator
  • corsec sniper
  • for srs!
  • 763 posts
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:36:41 pm »
I'm one of those who won't join a site if it's hidden.  I want to know the character and RP style before I spend the effort writing up an app.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:53:16 am »
Yeah I should have edited this but I already reopened my IC forums after speaking to another lawyer.

@Zozma  Oh? What kind of stuff did you discuss? What did they tell you?

Before we went private, we didn't hide anything. We slapped up a whole heap of 'we're a mature site' notices where you couldn't miss them (seriously, they vanished for approved members, but for guests and new members it was bigger than our header banner and bright red XD) so if you went poking around and read something that upset you, well, you were warned.

I haven't joined a forum in years, but it would depend on the requirements to join. If I had to completely build and do an RP Sample for my character before I even got to see what I was walking into, then no, I wouldn't be joining the site in question. If all I had to do was sign up saying "yeah, I'm over X age and a big girl" and then I could see the IC forums, then that would be different.

Most sites lose me before I've even finished reading the rule page though, lol.

Tags: controversy! 

* Plugboard

* Links and Affiliates

Distant Fantasies Total Drama Website - The Best Role-Play Sites